TEDxYouth@EHSHoustonPostOakSchool

TEDxYouth@EHSHoustonPostOakSchool

Friday, February 20, 2015

Presenters from The Kinkaid School

Ethan Fang | Remembering My Past

The Kinkaid School

Ethan Fang is a creative 11 year old with a great sense of humor. He was born in Berkeley, California and moved to Houston, Texas when he was 8 month old. Ethan has been playing violin and piano since very young age. This year, he is selected to the Junior High Symphony TMEA 2014 Regional 23 Orchestra. He also enjoys traveling, reading, writing, math, and singing. He was part of a chamber choir that performed with the Houston Symphony, and sang national anthem at the Astros game this past year. Ethan's parents are from Taiwan and Vietnam. He has always been interested in his heritage, which inspired him to give this TEDx talk about his family's past.

Ethan Fang | Reflection

TedX was a very worthwhile experience in which I got to share my family heritage with many people. Learning my family's past made me realize the sacrifices of my grandparents and taught me to not take anything I have for granted. TedX gave me the opportunity to share the story of my family and raise awareness of human suffering, as well as the importance of promoting peace. Overall, TedX was a meaningful experience that I will cherish and remember.


Bradlee Few | Imagine a World without Childhood Obesity

The Kinkaid School

Bradlee Few is a junior at The Kinkaid School in Houston, Texas. Bradlee is fully engaged in academics, sports, service, and she is an avid writer. She has enhanced her academic experience by studying abroad in France and China. She is a third year member of both varsity cross country and track & field. For the 2014 season she was selected by her cross country coaches as a team captain. Bradlee has served as an Admissions Ambassador for the last two years representing Kinkaid to prospective families through tours and open houses. She is the president and co-founder of the Bite of Kinkaid Club, a foodie club focused on exposing its members to world cultures through cooking, eating, and service. Bradlee is also a member of several organizations including National Charity League where she is the President of the Houston Memorial Chapter class of 2016, The Oliver Foundation Teen Board focused on ending childhood obesity, the Nordstrom Fashion Board and Jack and Jill of America, Houston Chapter.





Baley Metclaf | Imagine Humans and Reptiles

The Kinkaid School

Baley Metclaf is a typical energetic 4th grader. He occupies much of his time outdoors with basketball, baseball, soccer, Lacrosse, indoors with Tae Kwon Do, and is in his 3rd year as a Cub Scout. His favorite subject (after PE) is Science. Baley is an avid animal lover who plans to own a farm one day with many critters. He is a volunteer at a reptile store, where much of his experience has been cultivated. Baley visits The Great Smoky Mountains National Park every year, where he earned his Junior Range Badge over the summer. He enjoys anything related to his friends, the outdoors, camping, and critters.


Baley Metclaf | Reflection

To prepare for the TEDx Talk, I practiced with Ms. Thornton after school. This was also when other people came in to watch me practice. Practicing took a lot of time. On the day of the talk, I was really excited and a little nervous. I liked having the slides behind me to help guide me in my talk. Using the slide clicker was a lot of fun. I liked that my grandparents could watch me “live” in Tennessee. I liked representing my school and being with the other students from my school. It made me feel like I was part of a team. It was the most AWESOME experience, and I will try out again next year!


Suraj Pandit | The Other Side of Martial Arts

The Kinkaid School

Suraj Pandit is a sixth grader at Kinkaid. Outside of school, he has been training in the Korean martial art of Tae Kwon Do for 6 years, and recently he got his black belt. Through the process to achieve his black belt, he learned more about the philosophy of martial arts. One of his favorite quotes is, “The great masters are the ones who can make the difficult seem easy and the easy seem difficult.” Aside from martial arts, he enjoys playing competitive soccer and distance running. He likes music and plays the piano, as well as an Indian classical drum called tabla. He has two younger sisters for whom he is a great role model. When he grows up, he wants to be a doctor.

  

Suraj Pandit | Reflection

TEDx was a very unique experience. At first I had trouble thinking of a topic. However, I did a difficult board break at Mo Ranch, and everyone thought it was cool. Also, I tested for my black belt in Tae Kwon Do. As a result, I chose martial arts. During my presentation, the video stopped working, which at first had me worried, but then I realized that gave me a chance to practice what I was speaking about. I think TEDx was a special experience that has made me a better person.



Zach Roubein | The Merits of Dramatic Television

The Kinkaid School

Zach Roubein is a seventeen year old with a passion for writing. He loves literature, art, and being creative. Zach is a junior at the Kinkaid School. He has two younger brothers who look up to him. Zach enjoys listening to music, going to his brothers' baseball games, and spending time with his family. A believer in giving back, he is also quite active in his community and serves on his school's Community Service Council. Zach's love of dramatic television led him to give his Ted talk.






Noah Rubinson | Special Needs

The Kinkaid School

Noah Rubinson is a seventh grade student at The Kinkaid School in Houston, Texas. Noah is originally from Andover, Massachusetts and lived in Miami, Florida for several years before making Houston his home, along with his mother, father and ten year old sister, Ella. Noah’s time in three diverse states has brought him the opportunity to enjoy many special life experiences. As a New Englander, Noah enjoyed family trips to historical sites in Boston, such as the Freedom Trial, USS Constitution and the Paul Revere House, and also experienced the foliage and beauty of New Hampshire’s White Mountains. As a Floridian, Noah enjoyed the beautiful blue oceans of Miami and trips to the Everglades to watch for alligators on airboat rides! Now, as a Texan, Noah takes great pride in living in a state so steeped in history and especially enjoys the challenges of his academic program at Kinkaid. However, one of the most important aspects of Noah’s life is his incredible devotion to his sister, Ella, who experienced a brain hemorrhage as a baby and resultantly developed epilepsy and learning delays. Noah’s compassion, love for, and understanding of Ella and other special children like her is a large part of Noah’s personality and life. The incredibly deep commitment Noah makes to the life of Ella and others like her is the basis for his Ted Talk about special needs.


Noah Rubinson | Reflection

TEDxYouthDay was a great event in which I am very glad I participated! Talking about special needs children and the different ways that we can all become involved in the special needs community is very personal to me because of my sister, Ella. During my Tedx Talk, I felt a connection with the audience that made the event very special. TEDxYouthDay provided a great opportunity to my classmates and me to spread the word about topics that are very important to us, and I hope to have the chance to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment